Speechd-up experimental replacement

Bohdan R. Rau ethanak at polip.com
Wed Sep 19 03:03:54 EDT 2012

 Hi all

 As I promised - my replacement for speechd-up (written from scratch).
 Download link: http://tts.polip.com/files/spdup/spdup-0.6.2.tar.gz

 As I said - indexing does not work because I don't know how to generate
 text with index marks :(

 Main features:

 1) No configuration file needed - everything is configurable from
 command parameters
 2) Automatic generation of speakup/i18n/chartab based on given encoding
 3) Automatic load of other i18n tables for languages other than english
 4) Must be started as root. Program opens communication with kernel as
 root and then drops privileges to normal user, so we are sure
 speech-dispatcher won't start as root
 5) Default module and voice may be given as parameters
 6) Up to 7 addidional voices may be configured. In this case
 spdup_modify_keymap script should be used to have spk-s and spk-a keys
 for voice switch
 8) Keeps current settings for all speech-dispatcher parameters after
 speech-dispatcher restart
 9) Single retry after speech-dispatcher crash

 Polish translation (not complete) and Polish "fake-latin2" keyboard are
 included.

 In "debian" folder you can find postinstall script for Ubuntu 11.04 or
 higher and Polish language. The script is provided only Polish ubuntu
 users - do not run this script if You are not Polish speaker or not in
 Ubuntu! This script makes some modification in your system:

 1) switches pulse-audio into "system" mode (if not in this mode)
 2) installs and configures pl_PL.ISO-8859-2 locale
 3) switches console from UTF-8 into ISO-8859-2 and sets its own
 keyboard as default
 4) creates speechd-up user if not exists

 Startup script (also in debian folder) may be probably used without
 very big modification on all distros.

 Some remarks to tables rewriting:

 1) Table files are in fact executable scripts. It may be changed in
 future but some script will be provided, because translations and
 keyboard files are rather part of speakup.
 2) Table files now must be in encoding used in particular language (for
 example ISO-8859-2 for Polish). It will be changed in near future; files
 would be in any encoding (having 'coding' line) and will be converted to
 particular encoding on the fly. It must be done, because there are some
 languages which can use more than one encodings (for example ISO-8859-13
 for Polish).

 Enjoy!

 ethanak
--