speakup todo?

Kirk Reiser kirk at braille.uwo.ca
Mon Sep 17 21:18:56 EDT 2012

Both very good ideas which I believe are already in the ToDo file.  At
least, application configuration loading is.  Whether or not we will
ever see features like that depends on if anyone takes on actively
working on speakup again.  I can't see myself getting to it.

As for silencing portions of the screen, you can currently quiet any
rectangular area of the screen by placing your reading cursor on your
starting position and typing speakup-f2 then placing your reading
cursor on your end position and once again typing speakup-f2.  Then
you can silence that area with speakup-f4.  I use it to silence the
status line in emacs when I get tired of hearing the time/load average
and whatever else I have displayed there.

This of course is not as nice as having it load automagically when you
load emacs but one of the really nice things about linux is you can
have many consoles.  I typically have twelve and always have one open
in emacs.

On Mon, 17 Sep 2012, Cleverson Casarin Uliana wrote:

> Well, as for new features in Speakup, there are at least two features I would
> love included in Speakup.
>
> First, one should be able to define macro actions and assign them a key. For
> example, on pressing a key, speakup would jump two lines, them jump three
> words to the right, then read the next word.
>
> The second feature would be to define various portions of the screen to be
> silenced or automatically read, and save such portions on a per application
> basis.
>
> Cheers
> Cleverson
>
> Em 16/09/2012 15:17, Littlefield, Tyler escreveu:
>> Hello all:
>> I'm trying to transfer, and applying for scholarships and all that I'd
>> like to be able to make some contributions to projects that I can note.
>> I'm interested in learning more about kernel programming, and I figured
>> I'd start by working on something I use almost daily. I'm curious then
>> if there's some sort of todo or improvements speakup could have to it.
>> I'd also be curious if someone has thought about moving it to
>> userspace--as far as I know, the only thing that we really need the
>> kernel for would be hardware speech (and since serial ports are dying
>> out that could be a dead point), and accessing the console directly. How
>> easy would it be then, to have speakup run in userspace, but access a
>> smaller cut-down version of itself in the kernel to provide the access
>> to the console we need?
>> We could use sequence files and access the console through /proc. It
>> could return a file of 2-byte chars, which I believe is how it works
>> now--one byte is the color, and the other byte is the ascii value. The
>> sequence file would just iterate over the console's lines. I'm also
>> curious how we'd handle something like key presses like caps+u to move
>> up a line etc.
>>
>> If I'm way off here, I'd still like to help out if possible; is there a
>> todo list around, or stuff people would like to see done? If there are
>> people willing to answer questions from time to time in terms of the
>> kernel programming, since that's something I've not done before, I'm
>> game to start coding.
>>
>> Another question is then, how do people catch panics? Since I'm not
>> quite cool enough to write code that just works, I'm sure I'll be
>> dealing with panics, but I can't see them on the console and usually
>> it's when speakup goes boom anyway.

phone: (519) 661-3061