speakup and audio with alsa also bitlbee and irssi

Igor Gueths igueths at lava-net.com
Thu Sep 13 14:17:56 EDT 2012

I have MPlayer configured to play audio through Softvol, and I too experience
this. If I play file1.ogg and decide to lower its volume, this change will take
effect only while file1.ogg is playing. As soon as file2.ogg begins playing,
volume is back up to whatever the current amixer-configured setting is. The only
way I know of to mitigate this is to use Pulseaudio to keep program-specific
volume changes persistent, during the lifetime of the process. However, this
does introduce its own set of problems, such as lots of audio
latency/artifacts/interrupt issues last I used it.

--
Igor

believed to be clean.