speakup and audio with alsa also bitlbee and irssi

Littlefield, Tyler tyler at tysdomain.com
Thu Sep 13 01:46:32 EDT 2012

Hello all:
I had a few questions:
first, I was using mplayer, and the only solution I've seen was one
Chris Brannon pointed out, which was to use softvol. I've also seen it
mentioned in numerous places on Google. Problem is, softvol is a
software volume control, and when you change the volume of say track 1,
it puts track2 right back up at the max volume. Are there other
players/ways to make mplayer only change alsa so that it'll keep it's
volume through the entire song?

Also, I want to use Bitlbee for my messengers. Has anyone written a
script that just uses events to play sounds? contact signs on, new query
opened, new message received etc? I know you can trigger on events, but
I'm not sure how to trigger on specific events from within a specific
connection, like bitlbee for example.
Thanks,

--
Take care,