testing installation

John Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Mon Sep 10 14:04:43 EDT 2012

1. Configure grub to beep or better yet to play a tune when it displays the
grub menu. This will let you know that at least it got that far. Plus, it
will help you know when to press a key to fall back to the old kernel.
Instructions for getting grub to play a beep are in /etc/default/grub on a
debian system.
2.  Configure a serial console. Its not that difficult to configure a serial
console (google it) but the main drawback is that you need a null modem
cable and another computer. Depending on your resources, those might not be
handy.