Virtualbox and Windows

Gregory Nowak greg at gregn.net
Tue Sep 4 18:07:02 EDT 2012

On Tue, Sep 04, 2012 at 02:36:51PM -0700, Gregory Nowak wrote:
> One note though, if you choose
> to run without using the GUI, you'll need to use an rdp client to
> control a guest started with vboxheadless.

I should have said a windows guest started with vboxheadless, as
GNU/Linux guests can be accessed via ssh of course.

> As I described a few months
> ago on this list, rdesktop connecting to a port on localhost should
> work well here, and doesn't require much of an X11 environment to
> run. The only big problem with rdesktop is that there's no way to kill
> it from the keyboard once you connect to a remote machine, and
> virtualbox provides no way to disconnect from the rdp session inside
> of the guest without first halting that guest as far as I know.

Now that I think of it, if you have a windows version that allows
logins via rdp you don't need to use the virtualbox rdp server. You
can instead setup your windows guest for rdp logins, and that will
allow you to disconnect/logout from inside the windows guest itself.

Greg

--
web site: http://www.gregn.net
skype: gregn1