hardware speech

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Thu Oct 11 22:01:36 EDT 2012

I have good and bad news.  The good news is that hardware speech works great
on X86-64 systems.  I use both a DECtalk Express and Trippletalk serial with
no problems at all.  The bad news is that hardware speech is broken in
kernels after Squeeze, so you don't get hardware speech in testing, unstable
and Wheezy.  If I load the DECtalk Express module with kernel 3.2, it
completely locks the system.  It would be interesting if hardware speech
works on X86 32-bit systems with the 3.2 kernel, but I doubt it.