set -o vi Strangeness

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Tue Nov 20 14:25:16 EST 2012

	Ever since I upgraded to Debian Wheezy with the speakup
kernel I have had generally excellent results with one bit of
strangeness that may or may not have anything to do with speakup.

	I normally have an alert signal in my bash PS1 string to
make the terminal beep even if speech is off or broken. This
now appears to be throwing an index off such that I think I am
at a certain column but I am actually editing the column to the
left of it. If I take out the \a in the PS1 string, it does all
work right. Also, normal editing of files with vi works so the
only thing that is broken is if I want to edit and rerun a
previous shell command.

	Is there any way I can fix this so as to have both the
bell character and the correct placement of the cursor?
	Thanks for any suggestions.
Martin McCormick