pulseaudio update consequences

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at shellworld.net
Tue Nov 20 06:42:15 EST 2012

For debian, vlc and mplayer no longer work.  For archlinux, vlc works for
a short time then dies.  Haven't checked out mplayer yet.  I got vlc
working in archlinux by adding the user to the audio group before that the
earlier version of pulseaudio blocked both vlc and mplayer from working.
If you can't have a user in the audio group, it won't be possible to run
emacspeak and get output to the sound card in the future due to
pulseaudio.  I only use alsa and not jackd since this isn't a high end
system.  On debian I'm told as a result of pulseaudio -k that pulseaudio
is not installed too so I'm figuring this is all permanently broken at
this point.