Speakup for Oracle Enterprise Linux

Kirk Reiser kirk at braille.uwo.ca
Sun Nov 4 12:24:41 EST 2012

Hello Young: I am affraid I can't answer your question about whether
speakup is available under Oricle Enterprise Linux.  My suggestion
there is that you make this same request on the speakup mailing list.
There are many folks on the list that use various distributions of
linux with speakup.  If the Oricle distribution enables the kernel's
staging tree then speakup should work with it by just loading the
appropriate modules.

The screen reader most often used with graphics "X11" is orca.  They
have their own mailing list which I recommend you joining as well if
you wish to use X.

Good luck with your persuits and welcome to the gnu/linux community.
I find it is a much more satisfying group of people than the Windows
community.

   Kirk

On Sun, 4 Nov 2012, ylees wrote:

> Dear Kirk,
>
> My name is Young Lee.  I'm a visually impaired person who's currently in a process of becoming an Oracle certified master.  However in order for me to pass the final step for becoming an OCM, I must be able to use Oracle Enterprise linux and Oracle applications running under that OEL.  Is it also possible to install Speakup under Oracle Enterprise linux?  If this is possible, could you please point me to some reference on detailed instructions for how to install the Speakup under OEL?  Also, how well does the Speakup work with applications with graphical user interface?  Does it work as well as Jaws?  Is it possible for a blind person to use Oracle applications under linux using the Speakup?  Your response will be greatly appreciated as this will be a valuable information in pursuing my career as Oracle DBA.  Thank you in advance and I'll look forward to hearing back from you.
>

> sincerely,
>
> Young Lee

phone: (519) 661-3061