installer update was.. three small installer questions?

Gregory Nowak greg at romuald.net.eu.org
Sat May 19 02:53:11 EDT 2012

On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 06:02:46PM -0400, Karen Lewellen wrote:
> Actually I drew the impression about how the install process worked
> from the sentence below.
>

> On Thu, 26 Apr 2012, Gregory Nowak wrote:
>

> >Ok, the debian installer itself could care less where your dectalk
> >express is, or if you even have one. All of that is taken care of by
> >speakup, which is loaded for you based on parameters you supply when
> >you get the beep, and you're at the boot prompt.

What I said and you quoted above still stands. It is speakup which
searches for and uses your synthesizer, not the debian installer,
though if I realized you would read what I said how you did, I perhaps
would have thought of phrasing what I said differently.

> Since to my experience at least, the installers are one and the
> same, there is even a configure the speech synthesizer option in the
> installer menu, to me sharing that debian could care less indicated
> that it would find the synthesizer once I indicated that I had one.

I wasn't aware the installer menu has an option to configure a speech
synthesizer. I don't recall the squeeze installer having such an
option, so perhaps this is something which is new. I can see why you
assumed what you did. Again, if I was aware the debian installer menus
mention anything about speech synthesizers, I would have phrased what
I said differently.

> Further, the basic command for identifying the synthesizer itself,
> the codes provided, do not state, or not initially that other
> information is needful.
> instead there is a name associate with the synthesizer type, without
> the need to specify where it is located.

This is something covered by the speakup user's guide, so reading that
should have told you what you needed to know to use speakup with a
hardware synthesizer. The information I gave you was meant to get you
started, and wasn't intended to be exhaustive in coverage. I assumed
that since you found debian documentation on-line, you would have also
gone to linux-speakup.org, and gotten the speakup user's guide from
there, if you intended to make use of speakup.

Greg