install update with questins was three small installer questions?

Karen Lewellen klewellen at shellworld.net
Fri May 18 15:12:33 EDT 2012

Hi all,
Actually the questions are more for Samuel, but I will share where I am
now.
For the record, the synthesizer install process will be simpler in wheezy.
Gregory hit on it in advance, his steps here no longer work because you
can install both soft and hardware speech from the boot menu in wheezy.
you choose s as Samuel indicates, where you can either accept the
default by hitting enter, for
installing software speech, or tab to edit.  if you edit slightly hardware
speech gets installed instead.  By which I mean remove the word soft at
the end of the speakup synth line.

I did not try the software speech, simply opted to since I had sighted
help edit
the name for the dectalk.  I must have a com 2 conflict with my machine's
cereal port because at first speekup did not find the dectalk, when I
moved it to com 1 though it installed.   again I did not play with it much
due to my next problem.
Now for the question for Samuel.
As I have said from the start, I want to  install squeeze not wheezy.  I
have an external DVD drive with the squeeze images, but cannot boot from
that drive.  such is why we burned the cd of wheezy, that and the chance
to install software speech, and therefore to try and   do the install on
my own.
the thing is that after one chooses language, English for me, country,
Canada for me, and the keyboard, there is no archive mirror choice for me
to work with at all.  the system starts loading the rest of the installer
from the cd, the effort to use '<' as Samuel shares in order to return to
the boot menu does not work at all, nor does hitting escape.
the first thing done after  I cannot get to a point where I could lower
the
priority and choose to install  squeeze  is an intense effort to install
the network card.  it does make this effort, you must choose none of the
above from the list, tell it that you do not have drivers in another
media,  then by pass where it moves on to a dizzying list of
components. if I remember correctly, I hit the escape key or we chose
something else on the components page  where I
was taken to a list of install steps to choose from.  again though there is
no reference whatsoever to the "archive mirror" choice Samuel mentioned.
My guess is because of the cd from, because that place falls in the order
of steps, after the keyboard choice and before the network card one.
Again I have no network to work with so must be able to choose the
install media
and apparently Debian  cares a great deal how I start this.
In retrospect, I cannot say with 100% certainty if there is such an archive
mirror choice on the same boot menu where one can choose to install
speech.  Oh this is liste in the install steps now too.
I am not sure that I asked that specific question.  I did ask if it was
among the install steps, after keyboard, but it does not appear.
so, how can I firmly after installing the keyboard exit the process and
change from internal cd to external dvd?  or is there a way to make this
choice before I even choose language country and keyboard?
or is the install steps page where I would lower the priority an if so
where?

Thanks again,
Karen