A few questions regarding Speakup

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Sun May 6 18:03:09 EDT 2012

Hey sorry for such a late reply to this thread but yes, you are indeed
starting out correctly by commenting out all pulse references in
/etc/asound.conf.  Also, you want to make sure speech dispatcher does
not use pulse in its configs either.  I recommend that people use
speakup-git from AUR because I configured it not to use pulse by
default.  You must be sure that speech dispatcher works properly
before kicking off gnome; that will eliminate a lot of problems for
you.  You can use the spd-say command to test speech dispatcher from
the command line.