CAVI Linux Course was Re: LaTeX and big writing projects

Jason White jason at jasonjgw.net
Mon Mar 5 02:17:15 EST 2012

Kerry Hoath  <speakup at braille.uwo.ca> wrote:
>This is all good information, I'll link to some of these things on our
>linux wiki at
>http://linuxwiki.ciscovision.org

You're welcome.

>we are running an intro to Linux command-line admin course at the
>academy at the moment and all the resources are free for the taking
>although the certificate costs.

Have you considered recommending that students read the following book?
http://www.linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
(PDF download, but accessible if converted to text, so anyone with access
needs should be fine).

I have reviewed some of the chapters and I think the book is the best that
I've found online or offline as an introduction to Linux.

After reading that, my recommendation would be Unix Power Tools, 3rd ed.,
published by O'Reilly. This is the book to read if you want to discover what
make Linux and UNIX such great systems.