x11 keyboard input from text console

Samuel Thibault samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org
Mon Jun 4 05:35:47 EDT 2012

Gregory Nowak, le Mon 04 Jun 2012 01:40:44 -0700, a écrit :
> I have a very old laptop here running gnu/linux without gnome, or even
> xorg, since the machine is way too old to run gnome, and I have no use
> for a full x11 environment which I can't access.

> So, I installed Xvfb, and rdesktop.

That is actually a full x11 environment (even if not a full desktop x11
environment). You can install the regular Xorg server, and use Xorg
instead of Xvfb, and that should just work fine.

> The other possibility would be setting up a minimal x environment
> which I could run rdesktop in. I don't know though what are the
> minimum packages required for this in debian, and how much of a
> challenge it would be to launch rdesktop, and exit from it without
> something like orca.
> I think the ideal solution would be something that I can setup from
> inittab on an unused console.

That can be done indeed, something like

7:2345:respawn:/usr/bin/startx /usr/bin/rdesktop themachine -- vt7

and that will run on VT7. You thus just need the X server from
xserver-xorg-core, and startx from the xinit package.

Samuel