espeakup Shouldn't Presume Pulseaudio

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Tue Jul 24 09:42:56 EDT 2012

Thanks, Willem, this is helpful info.

However, isn't this a design flaw? Why is there an "always" about this
in the first place? At the very least, shouldn't this be a run time
configuration option and not a builtin?

In the screen reader world we're in the position of wanting alsa for
speakup, but pulseaudio for speech-dispatcher and orca these days. As
best as I can figure, from having poked around on this issue recently,
it should be possible to do this. Am I wrong? Isn't that what the
pulseaudio utility pasuspender is all about?

Janina