Why do I have a dodgy file system?

Kerry Hoath kerry at gotss.net
Wed Jul 18 01:12:22 EDT 2012

Badblocks has a non-destructive read/write mode to test blocks without
loosing your data. See the docs for details.
Problem is that a failing drive will often die completely once you point
badblocks at it so user beware.

Better to use smartmontools to check drive health like this:

smartctl -a /dev/sda|less

You can do this on a running system or from a grml boot disk.

Regards, Kerry.