more on speakup_ltlk bug

John Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Thu Jan 26 18:59:02 EST 2012

Okay, so i have this problem I've reported before. Loading the speakup_ltlk
module on 64 bit hardware does not work. It gives an error "No such device".
So I figured I'd try specifying the debice. What I've found is really
strange.  The first time I run the command, "modprobe speakup_ltlk ser=0",
it errors out. But if I do an lsmod and then repeat the command, it does not
error out. The module loads. It doesn't work but it loads.

Doing an lsmod changes what happens with subsequent modprobe commands.
Figure that one out. I can reproduce this behaviour (see below). Below, I
use the shell to re-run the command so it is absolutely not a matter of my
typing it differently.

# modprobe speakup_ltlk ser=0
FATAL: Error inserting speakup_ltlk
(/lib/modules/3.2.2-1/kernel/drivers/staging
/speakup/speakup_ltlk.ko): No such device
# lsmod | grep speakup
speakup                84390  0
# !mo
modprobe speakup_ltlk ser=0