Speakup enabled Distros for Blind Technicians

Robert cole rkcole72984 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 18:37:47 EST 2012

Hello, John.

I actually tested out GRML in a live environment. I downloaded the
hybrid image because I never really know when I need a 32-bit version.

I have a 16 GB flash drive which contains three partitions: one which
contains portable applications for doing work within Windows, a second
partition which now holds GRML, and a third partition for data which I
may need to access from within GRML.

In any case, I thought I would try out a few thigns, and I found that
the chntpw program for changing or clearing Windows passwords is present
in the ISO.

The only issue I really had was that eSpeak would become very jumpy when
using scripts such as the grml-network script. Even so, I was able to
silence it and use the review keys to navigate the dialogs which were
presented; I am not sure if these scripts use something like the dialog
program or ncurses.

It was a great experience, though.

I am probably going to get a USB card reader, though, so that I can
store all of my utilities on an SD card. My flash drive does not have a
write protect switch, and so it is quite vulnerable when it comes to
working on infected systems.

Thanks for the reply, John. So far GRML seems like the perfect tool for me.