hardware synth, USB, and udev -- Dectalk

John Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Tue Jan 17 11:47:13 EST 2012

Okay, I think I have a udev rule that will work for your synth. You need to
download my rules file and restart udev to try it. These instructions should
work for debian systems (and probably for ubuntu). Note that you should make
sure your synth is turned off or disconnected and that the speakup module
for your synth is not loaded before trying this. If the module is already
loaded, it won't be a very good test, wil it? The rules file at the URL
below supports 2 synths, DecTalk & TripleTalk.

1. cd /etc/udev/rules.d
2. wget http://www.math.wisc.edu/~jheim/10-speakup.rules
3. /etc/init.d/udev restart (or reboot)
4. Turn on or plug in your synth.  It doesn't really matter which cable you
plug in first but for best effect, you should connect the serial cable first
and then the USB cable. Or you could turn it off before beginning step 1 and
then turn it back on. Or you could just reboot.

PS: I had to assume the speakup module for your synth is speakup_dectlk.  If
that is incorrect, let me know.