hardware synth, USB, and udev

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Fri Jan 13 09:32:24 EST 2012

From: "Samuel Thibault" <samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org>
> I do, but in that case it does not make sense, because the module does
> not drive the USB device itself.

Oh, yeah, so I probably didn't make that clear to the udev developer (his
name is Marco). But the good news is that he didn't say no. I'm not sure how
much overhead it will create to add a dozen or so extra udev rules. It might
be hard to get them to agree to add these rules to the udev package due to
their unconventional nature.

Marco suggested keying off vendor ID & product ID instead of the Product
string. That is probably a good idea.  What I need from the people on this
list is a list of the vendor and product IDs for all the hardware synths
supported by speakup that have some type of connector that can be detected
by the kernel like a USB cable. I imagine that a internal PCI synth can be
detected by the kernel too. You could write a udev rule for that.

> How to you  specify the USB
> device to speakup?

My udev rule just loads the speakup module when the USB cable of the
hardware synth is plugged in. It still speaks through the serial port.
Here's the rule:

ATTR{product}=="Triple-Talk USB", RUN="/sbin/modprobe speakup_ltlk"