Espeakup stops speaking with a segfault.

luke Davis speakup at lists.tacticus.com
Wed Jan 4 14:49:30 EST 2012

On a laptop running Debian Squeeze stable, with kernel 2.6.32 SMP, I am having
speech at consoles stop randomly.  It may be when trying to switch consoles
after a keypress which initiates high activity, or after trying to switch
consoles when scrolling text is appearing on the starting console.
However, I'm not sure about those circumstances.

The most recent time it happened, I switched over to gnome, and was able to use
a terminal to find this in the logs:

[ 4166.514406] espeakup[1079]: segfault at 14 ip b75611ec sp b6972300 error 4 in libportaudio.so.2.0.0[b755a000+26000]

Googling on parts of this, lead me to posts on this list from someone called
Hermann in 2009, describing the same problem.  He got no responses.  I am hoping
for better luck.:)

Has anyone an idea what might be going on?

Is this actually a libportaudio library issue, or is something wrong in espeakup
itself?

Now that I know what's happening, it will be relatively easy to create a cron
job which prevents it from causing me a serious problem, but I'd rather figure
out how to solve it.

Thanks

Luke