Anyone able to OCR a PDF file?

Willem van der Walt wvdwalt at csir.co.za
Wed Jan 4 03:46:24 EST 2012

Hi,
Janina, I have done that script, sort of.
In the kies package I have released a while ago, there is a set of scripts
to scan and do ocr on image files.
It is no rocket science, but it works well enough.
The different ocr engines require different image formats.  Some of them
are really dum.
My set of scripts try to handle all that in the background, screening it
from the user.
One can use different OCR engines like cuneiform, tesseract and now even
the commercial ABBYY Finereader engine which is available for 149 euro.
I reacently have to do a lot of OCR, and now have a license at work for
that engine.
I find that the best of the open-source engines is cuneiform.
The main script for scan/OCR stuff is called kies_p2t, for paper to text.
The kies tarball can be found at:
ftp://ftp.csir.co.za/NI/National_Accessibility_Portal/wvdwalt/kies-latest.tar.bz2
Regards, Willem