still more on bug

Albert Sten-Clanton albert.e.sten_clanton at verizon.net
Thu Feb 16 17:45:03 EST 2012

John, though the typing in my message below yours here was utterly lousy
(too many beers), such criticisms as I made were not directed towards you,
and I said as much there and in a later message.  Those concerning the
acceptance of software speech were in fact aimed at earlier comments from
somebody else.

I most certainly and indisputably did not accuse you of saying that blind
people would have to build their own machines in order to get serial ports:
nothing you said gave any basis for such an assertion on my part, so I never
made it.  (Indeed, I had noted earlier yesterday that

<www.pcsforeveruyone.com>

May actually offer serial ports.)

Furthermore, you are among the people to whom I recall expressing gratitude
yesterday for replying positively to my question whether a blind person
could build a machine.  I must apologize if I wrote badly, but I reiterate
that I was not criticizing anything you said, and did not even address a
couple of things you mention here.

In sjhort, I have found your recent messages here concerning Speakup, serial
ports, and related matters helpful.  My concern here is that support for
hardware speech may become difficult to get down the road, maybe even
impossible for somebody not well-versed in kernel matters, and my impression
is that you may share this concern at least to some degree.

Maybe using a reply to one of your messages was a bad idea; if so, for that
I apologize.  It was the vehicle I had, and, as I said above, I tried to be
clear that your comments were not the reason for my expressed concerns.

Take care!

Al