still more on bug

John Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Tue Feb 14 10:21:58 EST 2012

Well, admittedly, we have a problem down the road regarding serial hardware
synths. But it will be years before serial ports go away entirely. Every
Dell server class machine still comes with at least one serial port. I don't
know about other server manufacturers but I would guess they're the same. In
fact, even dell small footprint desktops still have serial ports. So I think
it will be some time before server class machines don't come with serial
ports. And even after serial ports become obsolete, speakup won't be
obsolete, it will just have to start supporting USB synths.

Speakup with software speech isn't *that* important.  You can probably use
orca just about anywhere you use speakup with software speech. Yes, I know
there are a few exceptions like on a grml CD. But you could use vinux or
ubuntu instead of grml. The real value of speakup is that it works in kernel
space.

I am not sure I'm capable of supporting speakup. Two weeks ago, I didn't
even know how to display debugging messages.  But I'm not willing to just
throw up my hands and say that its hopeless.