still more on bug

John Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Mon Feb 13 17:24:47 EST 2012

Is there any reason why a fix hasn't been implemented? Not to criticize the
speakup developers -- they've done a great job. But I'd think that since the
bug has been around for a while it would be fixed by now. If its a matter of
finding time to do it, I'm willing to do what I can.

I suspect that the code that checks if the serial port needs to be freed is
wrong. The code prints a message saying speakup is trying to "steal" the
serial ports. And then it checks if ttyS0 is free and if not, calls
__release_region, and then it checks again if the port is free. But since
the check fails no matter what and since it doesn't seem to matter that it
fails, most likely, the check itself is bogus.

In other words, this is probably a speakup bug rather than a kernel bug.