Installing wheezy netinst with speakup; has this changed recently?

Samuel Thibault samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org
Tue Dec 25 17:44:46 EST 2012

Hello,

Marcel Oats, le Tue 25 Dec 2012 14:55:30 +1300, a écrit :
> So far as I understand it, you are still meant to be able to type s
> at the boot prompt for speakup?

That's what is documented, so that's what is supposed to work, of
course.

> Perhaps this is not working in the installer right now, or perhaps
> something has been changed?

It's supposed to work.

> I don't get any sound using this new version of netinst either.

> Sorry for any ignorance on my part.

Ignorance is not an issue.  What you just need is to look for where to
get the information.  The installer manual says to use s then enter, so
that's what is supposed to work.  The second source of information is
the debian accessibility wiki page:

http://wiki.debian.org/accessibility

And see what is there about what information to provide in case of
troubles:

“
If speech synthesis does not come up, we need information to find out
where the bug is.

First and foremost, we need the exact URL where you have downloaded the
installer image, otherwise we won't ever manage to find a bug which
could only exist on the image you have used (and which has to be fixed
too!)

Inside the installer, press alt-f2 to switch to a shell console, press
enter to start the shell, and type

amixer scontrols

and post the output to debian-accessibility at lists.debian.org so we
can know whether a sound card was detected and what the volume level
names are. If only an error message shows up, or if you do not have
resources to be able to read the shell console, please try to run a
live CD, make sound work with it, and post the output of lsmod to
debian-accessibility at lists.debian.org so we can know what sound driver
is missing.
”

Samuel