Are the days of hardware synths and speaking from boot numbered?

Albert Sten-Clanton albert.e.sten_clanton at verizon.net
Wed Dec 12 06:46:46 EST 2012

I also got a serial port on my new machine.  I may not mind using software
speech once I get Speakup working, but I wouldn't want to lose the ability
to use hardware speech.  A couple of years ago, it was the hardware speech
that saved my butt when, for a reason I didn't know, software speech just
kicked out altogether in what was then my Arch installation.  I'd pprefer
that it be via usb, but I take what I can get.

Al