Are the days of hardware synths and speaking from boot numbered?

covici at ccs.covici.com covici at ccs.covici.com
Wed Dec 12 03:10:11 EST 2012

Two things here, you can usually get access to a serial port on most
even desktop motherboards -- they just don't bring out the port to the
back, but the header is there on the mb.  You can get a cable and
bracket to bring out the serial port to the rear of the machine in most
cases.

Also, if you are willing to compile your own kernel, you can have
hardware speech by a one line patch to speakup, even in recent kernels.