Are the days of hardware synths and speaking from boot numbered?

Gregory Nowak greg at gregn.net
Tue Dec 11 16:23:24 EST 2012

On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 06:55:00AM +1000, Arthur Pirika wrote:
> I think the subject pretty much speaks for itself.         With
> serial synths, and especially serial ports getting harder to find,
> with the only serials synths still being made new are the venerable
> doubletalks, should work be ramped up on getting software speech,
> somehow at kernel level? I know there was a project working on this,
> but not much has been done on it for a while.

This seems to come up once a while, and usually ends up in a
unresolved tug of war between those who say desktops with serial ports
are still cheap and plentiful, and those like yourself who say the
days of serial ports are numbered. I personally am not in the market
for a new desktop, so haven't bothered investigating either claim.

> Related to this, I assume it's still possible to build speakup into
> the kernel, although most distributions package speakup as modules,
> thereby allowing messages from the moment of powerup?

Yes, you can still build speakup into the kernel, and yes, as far as I
know, most if not all distros which include speakup package it as
modules. You can still get speech essentially from power up if you
have speakup compiled as modules, which load from your initrd
image. So, I don't see a good reason for building speakup into the
kernel, unless you don't want to/can't use an initrd for some reason.

Greg

> thanks,
> Arthur

web site: http://www.gregn.net