Are the days of hardware synths and speaking from boot numbered?

Arthur Pirika arfy32 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 15:55:00 EST 2012

Hi,
I think the subject pretty much speaks for itself.         With serial
synths, and especially serial ports getting harder to find, with the
only serials synths still being made new are the venerable doubletalks,
should work be ramped up on getting software speech, somehow at kernel
level? I know there was a project working on this, but not much has been
done on it for a while.
Related to this, I assume it's still possible to build speakup into the
kernel, although most distributions package speakup as modules, thereby
allowing messages from the moment of powerup?

thanks,
Arthur