No subject

Sat Dec 1 17:18:54 EST 2012

==========
7) Turn A PlayStation2 Into A Linux PC?

Hi Fred, I don't know if you've heard, but Sony plans to release the PS2
Linux kit
it's been testing in Japan here in the US. It should be fun to see what
people do
with this. There's already one website (in Japanese) I found that's
apparently running
off of a PS2. That site is here
http://yoshi.sytes.net/
The kit's said to cost something like $200 dollars and among other things
will include
a 40gig HD, USB keyboard, and USB mouse. I can see myself jammin' to some
MP3's on
the home stereo, checking mail, watching TV, and surfing the web all while
kicked
back in the La-Z-Boy already! ) ---Greg Mathews

It's interesting indeed, Greg. This sort of thing has been tried before,
but game
consoles never had quite enough oomph to function well as PCs. Now, that's
changed.

The Sony plans are hazy: The official "PS2Linux" home page (
http://www.ps2linux.com/ )
says:

The Linux Kit is designed exclusively for the Japanese model of "PS2",
SCPH-10000,SCPH-15000
and SCPH-18000. Since these models are for domestic use in Japan, the Linux
Kit is
only available in Japan. At this point, there is no plan to release the
Linux Kit
for non-Japanese model of "PS2".  Overseas delivery is not available.

But there's lots more info here:
http://www.google.com/search?q=ps2+linux

Click to email this item to a friend

------=_NextPart_000_0006_01C1A3DD.4DA76340