Speakup broken with kernel 3.4.x (ArchLinux users please read)

Kyle kyle4jesus at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 18:22:40 EDT 2012

The latest info I heard is that the 3.6 tree is getting the patches. I
really do hope this is fixed sooner rather than later, but we have
several iterations of 3.5 kernels to get through before 3.6 is deemed
stable enough to release and then even more before it makes it into
official distros. This last part usually only takes a week or two in
Arch, including the signoff process, but it still could be at least a
month before the 3.6 kernel becomes the default in any distro. For now,
I still use the LTS kernel, which is 3.0.41-1. I do keep the most recent
kernel as well, and I test for the Speakup issue on most updates.
Additionally, my main computer should be back up and running within the
next two weeks, so I will be able to play with newer kernels on virtual
machines rather than needing to continue wearing out my thumb drive.
<grin> so I should be able to report to the list when it's fixed.
~Kyle