Virtualization and Speakup

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Thu Aug 23 22:41:19 EDT 2012

On 8/23/2012 1:15 PM, Igor Gueths wrote:

> How well does the ncurses mode work assuming you are booting a Speakup-enabled
> image? Last time I tried it 6 months plus ago, I never was able to get it to
> work.

It seems fine to me.  I had some problems with the keypad not working, but I
tested with a daily build of the testing Debian Installer and software
speech came up as expected.  It should be possible to do a complete virtual
install on a virtual machine.  I haven't found a way to pass the numeric
keypad to the virtual Speakup though, so reading the screen could be a
problem.  If using hardware speech, make sure to unload your synthesizer
driver on the host system and tell Qemu to pass the serial port to the guest.