Brltty and Arch: My Problem is solved but Arch's is not!

Cheryl Homiak cahomiak at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 04:00:04 EDT 2012

Sorry that some of you will read this twice but I thought that since I posted to both the brltty list and this one, I should post my resolution (though not a fix of the Arch package) here too.

What I finally did was just go ahead and run the latest revision using subversion. Since Arch has changed its library directory completely to /usr/lib but with symlinks for /lib if I understand correctly, I didn't want errors regarding files existing in /lib so I changed the libdir to /usr/lib. it compiled and installed and works fine. I even put the entry to run it in /etc/inittab instead of in the daemons section of rc.conf; the Arch package also has brltty in /usr/bin but I kept it in /bin. I had used subversion before with brltty rather than using the Arch package; however, after the upgrade I had problems with subversion. I was able to resolve these and my system is back to normal. However, the Arch package for brltty definitely does have a problem that should not be necessary since I was able to install the latest revision and run it with no problem. However, I have no idea what the problem is with the Arch package and so I also have no idea of how it should be solved.

--
Cheryl

May the words of my mouth
and the meditation of my heart