mixing media, was talking debian install.

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Wed Apr 11 09:33:35 EDT 2012

	The system I have that started the discussion of the
boot sequence has no floppy drive at all. It's possible there is
a traditional floppy controller and connector hidden somewhere
on the board, but it was manufactured around 2004 or so and
floppies were starting to fall out of favor by then. I can't
imagine why they left out such a vital resource as one could
have used it and around seventy-thousand floppy disks to back up
the 70-gig hard drive in, let's see, about 48 days.

	The BIOS setup screen actually lists a Drive A but you'd
have to probably find an IDE floppy drive to make it work.

	Fortunately, the boot sequence did not change on this
system. I was just confused by the way the power-off sleep
feature worked.

	As of last night, I was able to use the wheezy rescue
disk to mount the hard drive so I could go in and edit the file
names in /etc/rc2.d. Those are all the scripts that start
important unix services such as cron and many others.
There is a README file that tells you how to prevent a service
from starting so I turned off bluetooth as there is no bluetooth
controller, gdm3 as there is not a mouse present and I think
maybe one more service.

	The system rebooted and speakup came right up each time.
I now have a good command-line system with an accessible login
prompt.

	It seems like I read that somebody got gnome to run with
speakup, though. The goal is to be able to use it all. I would
really like to get firefox working in gnome. Lots of other
things are less hassle under the command line.