Starting Silently

Chuck Hallenbeck chuckh at ftml.net
Thu Sep 22 09:23:26 EDT 2011

Hi Michael,

Storm Dragon <stormdragon2976 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, > When Speakup starts it begins by reading things in the boot
process that > I really don't need to know. Is there any way to get
speakup to start in > the quiet mode like when you press numpad enter?
> Thanks

You can do something close to what you want by including the parameter
start=0 as an option to the module for your synth, probably speakup_ltlk.
In arch linux I have the following line in /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf
that does it:

options speakup_ltlk ser=0 start=0

Then, at the end of /etc/rc.local, you can start it talking in time to
hear the login prompt with these lines:

talkwith ltlk
speakupconf load

Hope that helps