Socrates-and-An Easier OCR?

Willem van der Walt wvdwalt at csir.co.za
Fri Sep 16 04:07:06 EDT 2011

Hi Hart,
The kies package I have released has a set of scripts like you describe.
It is called kies_p2t for kies_paper to text.
It supports multiple OCR engines.
Tesseract is good and cuneiform IMHO is the best, also allowing for
decolumnization.
For 140 euro, one can buy abbyyfinereader, a good commercial engine.
You can get kies from:
ftp://ftp.csir.co.za/MI/National_Accessibility_Portal/wvdwalt/kies-latest.tar.bz2
HTH, Willem