speechd-up debian install question

Bill Cox waywardgeek at gmail.com
Sun Oct 30 10:49:30 EDT 2011

William Hubbs has a good version of speechd-up he's maintaining.  I'm
using it on my install of Oneiric and it seems to work well, though
I'm not a strong speakup user.

Rob mentioned that it would be better if speechd-up would run as a
non-privileged user, rather than root.  I agree.  Is there a simple
way to get the speakup_soft module to be readable by a non-root user?
I guess my preference would be readable by all users, but of course
that let's anyone logged into the machine follow what's going on on
the console.  Ideally only the user logged into the console could
access /dev/synth.  Does anyone know if this is doable?

Thanks,
Bill