preparing a windows machine for dual booting

Christopher Moore chris.w1gm at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 19:48:03 EDT 2011

Chuck,
You'll probably have ample room on the drive to allocate a swap and
linux partitions.  Windows 7 comes with a tool to resize partitions.
You can get the free NVDA screen reader which works quite well with
windows these days.

Once you've resized your windows partition, you should be able to boot
the talking Arch which can be copied to a USB stick if your laptop
doesn't have a CD drive.  You'll also need to think about how to dual
boot the system once linux is installed.  Some folks put the grub boot
loader in the MBR.  Another approach which would preserve your MBR is to
put grub on the linux partition and add an entry to the windows boot
menu for your linux.  This latter approach is what I will be doing with
my HP laptop.

So, there are several options, and don't rush into anything without
thinking it through.  Also, be sure to make backup DVDs of your laptop
so that you don't inadvertently blow away your windows installation
without a backup plan in place.

LOL
Chris