64 bit debian install

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Tue Oct 18 16:23:47 EDT 2011

From: "Samuel Thibault" <samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org>
To: "Speakup is a screen review system for Linux." <speakup at braille.uwo.ca>
Sent: Tuesday, October 18, 2011 2:16 PM

>This doesn't talk about 64 vs 32 bit installation. You indeed have to
> choose a graphical install, but whatever graphical install will work.

Yes, I know it works but it does a 32 bit install.

Well, I think the workaround is to download an image specifically for doing
64 bit installs. But the iso linked to on the debian home page at
www.debian.org can do both 32 and 64 bit installs. And if there is any way
to get both speech and do a 64 bit install, I'd like to know what it is.

After you boot, you have to press the down arrow twice to get to the
graphical install menu item. The first item on the menu is a 32 bit install.
The second item is a 64 bit install. You have to cursor past both of those,
right? You go to the graphical install, press tab and enter the boot
parameter for your speech synth. With me so far? I'm claiming that if you do
that, its going to do a 32 bit install.  It would be easy enough to cursor
down just once to specify that you want to do a 64 bit install. But then
you're not going to get speech. So I don't know if you can do both, specify
that you want to do a 64 bit install and get speech.  If that is possible,
please let me know how.