disabling/dimming the monitor

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Mon Nov 7 22:02:51 EST 2011

Since you mention dimming the console, you might want to reset your
default color scheme using the setterm command. Once you get a
combination you like, you can add it to your .profile (or .bash_profile,
however you have it on your OS).

Example:

setterm -bold on -foreground yellow -background black

gives you bright yellow type on a black background.

setterm -half-bright

Dims the console screen to half brightness.

There are many more options. Check out the man page. Save them in your
.profile or using the -store switch to make them your default.

This will not change the color schemes of applications like mutt and
lynx, but it will affect the consoles you open at the command prompt.

Mutt and Lynx provide their own schemes for color control. In
particular, I seem to recall lynx has a low-contrast, darkish setting
that may work for you.

hth

Janina