Running Speakup on Ubuntu (fwd)

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at shellworld.net
Tue May 31 17:52:12 EDT 2011

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 05:13:39
From: Tony Sales <tony.sales at rncb.ac.uk>
To: "'Ubuntu-accessibility at lists.ubuntu.com'"
    <Ubuntu-accessibility at lists.ubuntu.com>
Subject: Running Speakup on Ubuntu

Is anyone able to get speakup running on anUbuntu installation (or live CD) which has the default orca  screen-reader option enabled - in other words - which has Orca running and Pulseaudio running in user mode? Or even on a plain Ubuntu without Orca enabled - I have been trying to do this for a week and have not made any progress. I am not sure whether the problem is pulsaudio or speech-dispatcher or speech-up - but I suspect it maybe caused by speech-dispatcher as I am able to run pulseaudio and speech-up without any error messages. But I get an error about speech-dispatcher being disabled if I try to start that in a console. Speech-dispatcher seems to be set not to run in system mode by default.