Help I broke speakup and orca in ubuntu 11.04

David Sexton david at rustytelephone.net
Thu May 26 22:42:44 EDT 2011

Help!
Happily speakup comes in the ubuntu 11.04 kernel...
Here's what I did that broke the entire sound system
installed espeakup
loaded speakup_soft with modprobe
after that no gnome startup sound at all, no orca
I thought maybe I should use speech dispatcher so I installed
speechd-up, but that said no modules found so I ran spd-conf and that
fixed that
speakup worked with speechd-up and gnome sound was back after
uninstalling espeakup
but now orca doesn't work, it says letters if I type that are cut off
even after not running speechd-up anymore orca won't come back to normal
so I guess spd-conf modified something orca needed.
How can I get these two to play nicely together?
Failing that, how to get orca back to normal.
David

David Sexton
+91 9400223351