Debian Install ALSA/Intel Issue

Christopher Brannon chris at the-brannons.com
Tue Mar 8 15:09:57 EST 2011

Liz Hare <doggene at earthlink.net> writes:

> Would it be possible to mount a USB device? How?

Hi Liz,
It is, but the problem is knowing the name of the device.
On my box, /dev/sdb1 is usually the first partition of my external
device.  /dev/sda is my internal hard drive.  It really gets problematic
if you have connected multiple USB storage devices.

You might be able to make this easier using filesystem labels,
especially if your external device has an ext2 or ext3 filesystem.
I don't know how to add a volume label to an MSDOS filesystem.

Here's a fully-worked example of how labels work, based on my own setup.
My external hard disk has three partitions.  The first two aren't
important.  Partition 3 has all of my data.  It's at /dev/sdb3 right
now.  I added a label to the filesystem, using e2label:
e2label /dev/sdb3 cmb_external_hd
You probably want to run that command with the filesystem unmounted.
Now, any time I need to access that partition, I can do so using the
pathname /dev/disk/by-label/cmb_hd_external.
>From now on, I don't have to care about the physical device name.  It
could be /dev/sdb3, /dev/sdc3, or anything else.  But it doesn't matter.
The logical name /dev/disk/by-label/cmb_external_hd always refers to the
3rd partition on my external hard drive.

So hopefully that whole discussion was beneficial, and it will simplify
the process of working with USB devices.
Assuming you've assigned a label of my_fs to a filesystem on your USB
device, you should be able to do:
mount /dev/disk/by-label/my_fs /mnt
amixer > /mnt/amixer.txt
sync