Debian Install ALSA/Intel Issue

Chuck Hallenbeck chuckh at ftml.net
Mon Mar 7 18:35:21 EST 2011

Hi Liz,

On Mon, Mar 07, 2011 at 04:56:14PM -0600, Liz Hare wrote:

> Hi, all,
>
> Has anyone found a way to work around the lack of speech caused by
> this problem? I've tried turning up the volume and unmuting the
> sound.
>
> Thanks,
> Liz

The HDA-Intel motherboard audio has a set of controls that differ a
little from the usual ones. Normally it is sufficient to unmute Master
and PCM, raising their volume to reasonable levels. On the HDA-Intel
device, there is also something called Front that also has to be
unmuted and its volume set. You didn't say how you unmuted the audio
interface, but if you didn't do all three items, Master, PCM, and
Front, you won't get sound. The best mixer utility to use is one that a
lot of people hate, it is amixer

I had that problem a while ago on this system, an Intel 945
motherboard with the HDA-Intel audio interface, and that solved it for
me here.

Chuck

--
Chuck in Hudson.