espeakup and sound cards?

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Sat Mar 5 16:01:08 EST 2011

Yeah, I use the speech-dispatcher-git from AUR so when I built it, my
configuration did pick up the pulse libraries and the implied default
audio output method was indeed pulse.  From there, I could choose
between pulse or alsa from the speechd.conf at will.  Still, the sound
control sucked.  I just couldn't get my hands around keeping the
volume and sound quality from changing every time I restarted things.
It seems like you have to go exclusively pulse for *EVERYTHING* - even
at the console level; maybe then I might stabilize things with pulse.
I had it working pretty well with GNOME but other than that, I think I
will still wait a while.