amazing espeak install

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at shellworld.net
Sat Jun 18 00:37:02 EDT 2011

I used espeak-squeeze-i386.iso to install espeak on an amd kathelon k8
machine.  The installation was successful and when the system boots up the
sound card speaks all kinds of failure messages and a message about acpi
conflict but boots up and runs notwithstanding all of that.  There's
exceptions thrown too and I went with the default kernel choice.  I can
provide my dmesg.log file but will put that on my website if anyone would
like to look at the details.  Some additional notes.  The reason for
inability to find internet sites from which to install the base system on
this kind of hardware is that dns connections get brought up or at least
this system thinks they have been brought up but this system is thinking
connections are up prematurely.  If a test like ping google.com could be
run by the install program and checked for packet loss until packet loss
no longer occurs these problems would all disappear permanently.  I
discovered this because when the base system failed to install I ended up
back on the main menu and tried running the install base system choice
again and the second try from the main menu worked perfectly.  The disk
did not beep as it was being booted, so I waited until the cd sounded like
it had stopped to key in my expert boot parameter and the system accepted
that parameter.  What's so amazing about this installation is when I boot
the system I get to hear my sound card tell me installation of espeakup
has failed yet it still speaks.  All of that having been written this has
been a good and valuable piece of work.