Espeakup and Arch

Chuck Hallenbeck chuckh at ftml.net
Fri Jul 22 17:49:46 EDT 2011

Hi Austin,
On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 05:13:22PM -0400, Austin Seraphin wrote:
> I just upgraded to kernel 2.6.39 and espeak has changed its default
output to a different soundcard. I think it might relate to PortAudio
problems. Does anyone know how I can reset it? Thanks.

Try adding a pair of lines in /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf to
explicitly assign a particular alsa driver to the default card, card 0,
and the other alsa driver to the alternate card, card 1, something like
this:

options snd-hda-intel index=1
options snd-hdsp index=0

Of course you have to modify these statements to correctly name the
proper drivers for your two audio interfaces. But the trick here is
that card 0 is the default output, and card 1 is the secondary or
alternate ihterface.

Add the two lies, perhaps at the bottom of the file, then reboot and
say an appropriate prayer.

>  - Austin

Chuck in Hudson.
My website is hallenbeck.ftml.net, and my Jabber ID is chuckh1 at jabber.org