a very important notice for people using Speakup on Arch Linux

Christopher Brannon chris at the-brannons.com
Sun Jan 30 10:22:05 EST 2011

"Littlefield, Tyler" <tyler at tysdomain.com> writes:

> Any system needs to be rebooted in order to switch from an older
> kernel to the running kernel. As the kernel is at the core of the OS,
> and manages scheduling and memory management, it needs to be rebooted

Here's another problem.  When you upgrade from 2.6.x to 2.6.y
on Arch Linux, the package manager is going to remove all of the modules
and other files associated with kernel 2.6.x.  If you don't reboot,
you're going to have issues if you need to load modules into the old
kernel.  Or at least, I'm reasonably certain that you will.

There's a mechanism called kexec, which should allow you to switch
kernels without a reboot.  I've never used it, so I can't really say
much about it.  I'm not even sure that I'm brave enough to try it.

-- Chris